Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's bigger than me

As I finish reading Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich, by Duane Elgin, I realize how petty I have been with my self-pity and abhorrence of the cold. I have forgotten myself as I cave to Ego  and the whims of being more comfortable.

Our vision for Green Desert Sanctuary began as a means to help our society transition from an economy that is failing, a culture that is floundering and a humanity that is killing itself, to a society, culture and economy that is based on the idea that we are all One. Not only do we all, as living beings, share this planet, but we are all a part of this planet. We are this planet, the bits and pieces that make up the whole. And we must learn to live as such before we do ourselves in.

It doesn't matter where we ultimately end up. The land, the town, the state...is all meaningless if we do not continue our work to help others live more sustainably, more simply and also more ecologically. Our human family has reached a critical turning point where we continue to battle one another in an attempt to secure more resources for our own little selves. Ego is definitely at play in the greater scheme of things.

Richard and I made a decision a few years ago to share our knowledge, our skills and our time with anyone interested in being a part of the changing world. The change is one of learning resiliency as our planet heaves and stretches with the pains of being raped and violated by mankind. The change also seeks to connect to our great Mother Earth and to listen to her, and be willing to sacrifice or give enough of our lives and ourselves that we may begin to heal our blessed Mother Nature so that she will sustain us for many years to come. The change is personal  and spiritual as we all come to a higher consciousness that lifts humanity to a higher vibration or higher frequency or higher plane of reality.

As we continue to look for a place to build our spiritual center and our sanctuary of sustainable living, we will continue to give our time and energy to those who want to learn. By no means do we know it all, hardly, but we continue to learn, taking classes as time and finances allow, and we will share that knowledge with anyone interested in joining us in creating resilient communities everywhere.

On a positive note, the temperature actually rose above freezing today. To all of us in northern NM and southern Colorado, that means a whole lot of mud with the thaw, and as I curse the mud, I am ever so thankful for the sun and the warmth on my face as I do my farm chores. Here's to simple living.

No comments:

Post a Comment