Monday, November 11, 2013

Time and Money...and a shortage of both

We went up to Colorado Springs this past Friday for a doctor's appointment with the kids' Biomedical doctor. It's a long drive. Uneventful trip, I am happy to report.

The doctor's appointment was another story, with the kids jumping around and being the wild children they are. My daughter was diagnosed PDD-NOS about two years ago. My son, although he shares many of the same symptoms, and has worse allergies, and OCD behaviors, did not receive the diagnosis. Regardless, we are treating all of their symptoms from a nutritional perspective, eliminating problem foods and adding supplements to bring their health back, naturally. The list of supplements to try this time was long and their food choices are disappearing. It was an expensive trip. I am happy to say the nutritionist was excited about the llama milk experiment. So, in a year, if the girls have some crias, we will see what happens with that. I am rethinking the donkey milk thing again. Donkeys are easier to deal with, cheaper than camels and give more milk. Not quite the same, but the benefits of the milk have similar antibacterial properties for people who have gut issues. Plus, I can call our farm the Happy Ass Farm, which amuses me to no end. Happy Ass Dairy, maybe.

I realized some important things from this trip. First, I never want to live up near the Springs again. It just seemed dirty and dismal to me. I love the wide open spaces and spectacular views I have here in the San Luis Valley, every single day. The air is clean, there is no traffic, and the people are just so nice. Second, a little more space from my extended family is not a bad thing--there are just way too many cats up that way for me to tolerate. (I do miss my 20 year old daughter though. I'm still trying to convince her to move out here with us.) Third, even though it would be nice to find land closer to the doctor, it isn't necessary as we can make our appointments in the summer months instead. Fourth, being gone all day takes a few days catch up to get the farm back to normal.

And we are still not done with the barns!!! Winter is well on its way and we have to get the shelters closed in for the critters. Time and money. That's all we need. There seems to be a shortage of both of those things around here.

Richard is still plugging away on the turkey/duck/rabbit house. And the goat barn got a little recycled metal siding. This will keep the metal that is laying around from blowing away and re-use it in a useful way. Win, win.



Rustic turkey house--made with pallets


Barn siding



It's not very pretty though. Wouldn't it be cool if we could side the bars with corrugated metal, running vertical, like some people are doing with house spaces? We once visited a house in Taos where they used corrugated metal under the counter on a stool space. Looked very nice. Of course, outside, the metal might just blind us all, so maybe it's better we are using old metal, colored roofing. Although, we went on a house tour many years ago in Albuquerque where they sided the outside with corrugated metal, and the inside was a retro mix of steel and exposed pipes. It was nice. Not my thing really, but I can see the appeal. Maybe we can try it out one day. Only need more time and money....

No comments:

Post a Comment