Monday, October 28, 2013

Looking for good quality hay

Winter is coming and there is still so much to get done. Does it always feel this way, or is it as you get older that time seems to close in on you? Maybe there is just more to get done!

We have been stocking up on hay, finding it where ever we can at this point. We found a great source just outside of Alamosa. At least for now the hay has not gotten wet. The farmer also stores most of his hay in a hay bar. Imagine that.


Wild horses on the way to get hay. These were only a few miles from our farm.


Last week we went to La Jara for hay. Organic alfalfa. Field stacked. Richard tried to dig into the middle of the pile to get to the best of it, but as we use the hay now, we are noticing more and more moldy chunks throughout. Too bad. That was a great farm. Off grid. Old farmhouse with solar panels. Passive solar barns. They had Churro sheep! And a couple of Clydsdales, which they use to plow and do the farm field work. Awesome! Those are some huge horses. I would've liked to talk to the farmers there (They were out of town when we went. We met the ranch hand.), except for that moldy hay thing. Not sure I could hold my tongue.

Farmer tip: If you are going to be in the business of hay, build a hay barn!!!!!

So, while thinking about draft horses, I discovered some really cool people using miniature horses to plow and even pull wagons full of hay. Cool. I have to reexamine my thoughts on miniature horses. They may be good for something besides looking cute. Here's a link to some interesting info on minis.

I have also been considering a Dexter cow to add to our farm. I like cow milk. I prefer it over goat milk. but, regardless, the kids can't have either. No casein for my kids. Still, it'd be nice to have some cow milk now and then. Dexters are an old, dual purpose breed, both good for milk and meat, but much, much smaller than an average cow. They eat less and are easier to deal with. That's what we are looking for...easy to deal with. And, eats less...very important.

Now, I scan Craiglsist, looking for Churro sheep, Dexter cows and mini draft horses. And hay. I'm always looking for hay.

Richard has been working on the turkey/rabbit/duck house and it is coming right along.



Pallet turkey house



No comments:

Post a Comment