Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Rain

It rained all night.

I slept badly, thinking of the poor goats out there without any shelter.

Yesterday, we separated the billy, put the girls in together and let the llamas have their barn back.

As a result, there was not enough time before Richard went to work to make shelters for the goats. I tried to go out last night in the dark after I got the kids to bed, and throw an old rug up over the corral panels for Molet. It was pouring. I failed miserably. The panels were not situated right to create a structure to hold anything. So, I took my wet and muddy self off to bed, where I listened to the rain come and go, tapping on the plexi-glass of the sun room that serves as our our bedroom.

In the morning, it was still raining. The goats were all huddled against fences, looking sad, cold and wet.

So Richard got up and spent the morning building shelters.


The girls now have a shelter.




And Molet has a place he can get out of the sun and rain.  




The sun is shining this afternoon, although the rain is coming again. I am thankful for the moisture, for sure, and grateful that Richard can put up rain shelters so quickly (thankful for pallets!).

The gardens are happy with the rain. But Fall is coming. I can feel it. I'm afraid our tomatoes won't have time to produce. We are looking at putting a greenhouse up around them.


The pumpkins are turning orange now. 





Huge pumpkins -- one growing right on top of another!

And the Marigolds are beautiful in bloom.



I appreciate the beauty of this wonderful farm and how our gardens are producing. The goats are giving us milk. Richard made some yummy cilantro pesto goat cheese. The llamas amuse me just by being their llama selves. I got a walk in this morning with the family and dogs, in between the rain. 

Life is good, isn't it? I sure am enjoying the abundance here on our little farm in the San Luis Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment