Monday, June 23, 2014

Gardens, horses, rental deposits

The food garden is pretty much in. We may supplement it with a few more things, but now we have tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, kale and a new raspberry plant. I also found a tree. It's an Aspen and we put it in the corner of the garden. I planted the irises I had in pots from the rented farm along the south fence and we found some annuals which we put in pots here and there. We'd like to put a three sisters garden in the middle open space. The garden is looking good!

We drove to Salida to buy a couple of huge solar panels. I remember how cute Salida is now, and how trendy and expensive. It seems all of the rich granola types have flocked to the tiny mountain town and the real estate prices are staggering. Ridiculous. Too bad. It's cute and artsy. But Taos is more of an art town and cheaper, believe it or not. Significantly cheaper. Not that it matters. We have chosen Alamosa now and there is some art here, and some culture...thanks to Adams State University, I'm sure.

Salida had a lot of large, outdoor horse sculptures here and there. Strange to see so many. Down here, in the Valley the wild horses run. Horse medicine is still with me. In fact, I have been reading a book on touch training horses, but I was hoping to use it on the llamas. They need to learn some manners. Or I do. They need to learn trust, and so do I. Larry, the neighbor, didn't think it would be a good idea for me to get a mini horse. I get the feeling he discourages people with no horse knowledge from getting horses. But how does one learn then? I just wanted to have a live horse around to remind me of the horse medicine. It doesn't matter though. The horses are with me anyway.

Richard is working on the power station for our homestead. He's almost got the wind generator assembled and ready to raise. We still need a charge controller for the solar panels. Things are moving forward.

We are having trouble getting our security deposit returned on the rented farm we recently vacated. The landlord has told us he sent it. but it has not shown up. Three weeks now. We may have to take him to court, which I just really don't wan't to do. But we need that money for materials. Plus he kept our driveway gate...said he would buy it. Ha! Maybe we need to go take it down. Why do people have to act so dishonorably? I cleaned that place like crazy, and last we knew, the landlord said it looked good and we had been great tenants. So? The lease assured us of a returned deposit within ten days of vacating premises. I just don't understand what the issue is. The landlord won't return our calls now. So we sent letters...one regular mail and one certified. This begins the process we have to follow to take the landlord to small claims court. I hope it doesn't go that far.

Today I am collecting llama beans to spread in the gardens. Hopefully tomorrow we can rent a tiller and get it all worked in. Then the Sister's garden goes in and the hemp goes in. It'll happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment