Sunday, June 15, 2014

Planting and pondering


This place, Mt. Blanca


We got our raised garden beds made, half filled with dirt, and today the kids and I planted potatoes in one. Tomatoes go in next. We need more dirt for the other beds and then we can plant them too.

More hemp seeds are started. We had a mishap with the wind...the last starts got blown out of their pots, pots overturned, dirt everywhere. But maybe some hemp will come up out in the middle of nowhere.

Now that we have water, the planting really begins.

We bought a Lilac bush and planted it near our compost/grey water pit, hoping it will reap the rewards of such a nutritious place. I long for trees and I can't find any to buy that we can afford. So, Lilac bush it is. It's a start. I love Lilacs anyway, but some shade would be nice. I know it will be years, but we have to start somewhere.

It has been difficult. I have become disillusioned with this whole process and have house envy when we go to town. Oh, to have walls and space to get away from one another; a backyard with green grass and trees; a real kitchen with cabinets to fit all of our spices and pots and pans; a shower and bath tub to soak in; windows to keep the sand and dust at bay; a comfortable bed; I long for some sense of permanence. This nomad lifestyle is wearing thin.

It is difficult, but then I think of an oasis in this desert place--of greening the desert--of permaculture masters who have achieved amazing results with only a piece of land to work with. That's what we have--an empty canvas, waiting to be filled. I long to fill it with color. Bring on the flowers! Let's get the fence up and get some peacocks to strut around and remind us of natural beauty. These things excite me.

And, the most important thing of all...it's all ours, outright, no banks, no debts. This land is ours. That's pretty powerful and has so much meaning. Everything we do will be for us and the future of this place.

I have also been disillusioned with the idea of the church. I have been witness to too many churches that seem to represent everything I don't. I have seen the people in charge of churches fall to their own egos, striving for power and fame, money and a name for themselves. I'm not interested in any of that. In fact, I'd rather sit in the shadows and let the church create itself. Is that possible? I foresee a space where all people are equal and hold the same value. No one has any more power than another, not even the minister. Who am I to pretend that I know more or have any better connection to Source or All That Is? We all have the same connection, or the same ability to connect. We can all communicate with Nature, with God. we do not need anyone to do it for us. Perhaps we need to be reminded of this, and if I can do that, I am honored.

If this Green Desert Sanctuary can be a place of sharing, a place of ideas, a place of peace and love, then it will be a success. I see a Sanctuary where people can come and learn, come and teach, come and just be, enjoying nature, spending time with the animals, and a place where they can remember who they are and their connection to All That Is. We are All One.

Let us redefine what a church is and who the players in a church are. We are all the church. This is a church of love for Earth, love for All. This is a church where people can gather and simply be together, doing simple things like gardening, building, taking care of animals, talking and taking care of each other and the planet. The only expectations are love and honesty, kindness and compassion. Can we do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment