Thursday, April 24, 2014

This week at the farm...

We disbudded the baby boy goat. That is always traumatic. More for me, it seems, than the goat kid. We changed his name to Coco, in keeping with the sweet/cookie theme. His mother is Oreo. His sister is Cookie. We haven't decided if we are going to castrate him. He's a nice looking buckling. His father is supposed to have good lines. I have him listed on Craigslis, but no interest yet. We may keep him to mate back to the other two female goats that aren't related. I'm still looking for another buckling that is not related to breed to all of girls. I'd even do a trade.

Fairy dust still has not kidded, and I was sure she was about to. Any day now....

Richard started a couple more avocado seeds, hoping to get some more trees going. We have one pretty good sized avocado tree, but no others to pollinate with. These trees will have to live in a greenhouse.



Avocado seed starts

We have moved building materials up to our Alamosa land, have moved some boxes into our storage unit, and keep on packing. We are testing the water system in the camper, and waiting for a 1600 gallon cistern to arrive. We bought batteries for our power system and are waiting for an invertor, which should come today. We are trying to get a well driller out to the land to blow out the well we found to see if it's any good.

I have decided against getting the mini horse. Horses are just too much maintenance, and it is not recommended to keep them in sandy areas, which our new land is--completely. There are so many toxic plants to avoid, plus teeth issues, digestion issues, and hoof maintenance and issues. Too bad. They are really cute. For now, we will stick to camelids and goats. The pigs are doing well. Richard has been trying to whittle down Choe's toenails a little at a time.


Harley and Chloe


The Hemp project is underway. We have our Indiegogo campaign up and running with a couple of donations already! Thank you! We have some seeds (don't ask, don't tell) and are getting them ready to start. We need more funding to really get this thing going, but we will continue on anyway and do what we can. At the very least, we can grow some plants for seed for next year. And make compost out of the mature plants. It's supposed to be great stuff.

We are trying to decide if there is enough time to move our compost and manure piles. There is so much to do still to get ourselves and animals relocated to an off grid situation.

I am proud to say, our Turkey feathers are on their way to the Hopi people to be used in ceremony. I can't think of a better use for them. I am honored. I respect the Hopi a great deal, and have studied and learned much from the Hopi prophecies.

My shamanic studies continue, but I am having a lot of trouble with the journeying aspect of it. I did acquire a lovely rattle from Wumaniti in trade for milk, cheese, eggs and yogurt, that I have begun to use in my own personal ceremonies.

There have been a couple of snakes hanging out around our kitchen door. One day, they allowed me to see them mating, which was interesting and odd. Snake medicine is strong right now. Healing and transformation. I thought they were baby Bull snakes, but now, I think they are Garter snakes.

Little Bull snake, I think male

No comments:

Post a Comment